Roseville Probate Lawyer
- Probate Lawyer Representing Clients in Roseville & Nearby Cities.
- Challenges to The Validity of a Will or Trust
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty in Estate Settlement & Trust Management
- Don´t Expect Success If You Handle Objections Yourself
- Contact a Trust Litigation Lawyer in Roseville & Nearby
A loved one’s legacy can ease the pain of loss by reminding heirs of a departed family member’s enduring love. But when questions arise about the validity of testamentary documents or the management of estate assets, uncertainty can arouse animosity and prevent closure. If you, as a beneficiary, suspect that a will or trust does not reflect the wishes of the deceased, you have a right to challenge the proceedings in court. Similarly, if you believe an executor, trustee or estate administrator is mismanaging the assets of the estate or a trust, you have the standing to raise that issue. On the other hand, an executor, trustee, or estate administrator is entitled to a vigorous defense against accusations of incompetence or unlawful conduct. At The Sterling Law Group, our Roseville probate lawyer provides a highly professional representation of aggrieved beneficiaries and accused fiduciaries in estate and trust disputes, with years of experience serving Roseville and nearby residents.
There are several bases for challenging the implementation of testamentary documents. These include:
- Lack of capacity — This ground alleges that the testator was not of sound mind at the time the will or trust was executed.
- Undue influence — Documents might be invalid if a person with access to and power over the testator used emotional manipulation to gain special consideration in the will or trust.
- Fraud — This ground alleges the testator was deceived about the contents of the documents at the time of execution.
- Void for vagueness — This ground asserts that the terms of a will or trust are open to conflicting interpretations and it is impossible to know which interpretation is correct. A challenger can prevent part or all of the will from being implemented.
Many probate and trust disputes stem from suspicions that a particular individual took advantage of the declining health or dementia of the deceased to insinuate himself into the will to the detriment of the rightful heirs. The court looks very harshly on this type of elder exploitation. However, it is important to note that disappointment is not grounds for an heir to challenge a will or trust. All challenges must be supported by reliable evidence.
The executor of a will, administrator of an intestate estate or the trustee of a trust is a fiduciary with a legal duty to manage the assets of the trust or estate according to the testator’s wishes and for the benefit of the beneficiaries. The fiduciary must perform at a professional standard so that assets are not lost due to waste, fraud, misallocation or mismanagement. Beneficiaries may challenge deliberate or negligent misconduct and demand a full accounting. I have vast experience on both sides of trust and estate controversies. I have close associations with forensic accountants who can render accurate assessments of asset management and help us assemble evidence to prove or rebut allegations.
Many people hesitate to hire an attorney because they wish to keep a family dispute within the family. However, the court may treat your suspicions lightly if you raise them without a professional presentation and a firm basis in the law that an attorney can provide. Moreover, a seasoned attorney who has been through such negotiations before is likely to produce a settlement that satisfies all parties and allows the proceedings to move forward at less cost to the estate.
Conflicts among beneficiaries or between beneficiaries and fiduciaries can be very destructive without experienced and knowledgeable legal counsel. At The Sterling Law Group, our best Roseville Probate Lawyer provides capable representation for beneficiaries and fiduciaries throughout Roseville, Sacramento, and nearby. Call today at 916-790-9202 or contact us online to schedule a consultation at my Roseville office.